Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Character design and Disney style

I've never been very strong with character design, so I ordered a couple of books on the subject. Been watching some YouTube tutorials, too. Interestingly, most of what I've been able to find is from current or former Disney artists. So naturally, the things I draw afterwards look Disney-ish. These are a few doodles from my sketchbook.


I'm constantly trying to define "my style," and this isn't necessarily it. But I'm learning new things from it. One thing I'm digging in particular is learning how to keep my characters from looking static and lame in their environments. My hope is to imbue my illustration work with a little more cinematic quality. Interesting camera angles, dramatic lighting, dynamic poses. My idol in that respect is illustrator Pascal Campion. Everything that man touches is so full of life.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...