Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Featuring Morris Louis

I have a soft spot in my heart for abstract expressionism and color field paintings. I know they're not for everyone, but in my case the more I got educated about art, the more I was drawn to the most basic elements of design - line, shape, color, texture, and so on. Now these things are just pure eye candy to me.

Morris Louis was an American painter who helped pioneer color field work in the 1950s. He used thinned, transparent washes of paint, minimized visible brush strokes, and sometimes painted directly on unprimed canvas to let the paint seep and soak in its own directions.

All of these works are his:


Aren't they lovely?

1 comment:

  1. i love him. so much. his works are too big to spread in most rooms, so he spread then down his hallways when creating them. i have a vision of a small house full of canvas just running through every room and filling up the halls and walls.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...