Monday, January 10, 2011

Four kids' books I want real bad


First, Antoine de Saint Exupery's The Little Prince is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. And I have several copies of it. But then I found the big fat pop-up edition at a bookstore and just about wet my pants with excitement. I got to leaf through it, pull the tabs, watch the sunrises and sunsets over the little planets, watch the snake slither up...it's incredibly well-crafted. This will be put on the really-pretty-books-around-which-I-will-gather-my-well-behaved-children-for-meaningful-family-reading-time shelf.

Dinosaur vs. The Potty

Second, my son and I have both been fans of Bob Shea's Dinosaur vs. Bedtime for a while. I haven't read Dinosaur vs. The Potty yet, but I'm confident it will be just as fun as the first. I'm hoping my son's enthusiasm for roaring like a dinosaur will carry over to enthusiasm for learning to use the potty.

LMNO peas

Third, I just grabbed LMNO peas off the shelf at the library this weekend, and it's adorable! The illustrations are simple and sweet and the rhymes are the same.

Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears

Last, I grabbed Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears on the same library trip, and it's fantastic. It's a bit of an alphabetical I-spy book, like Graham Base's Anamalia and so many others, but it's so clever and simple. The page for X made me particularly happy, though so many other alphabet books seem to struggle with that one. The humor and the aesthetic also remind me of A Town Called Panic*, which is always a plus.

* If you've never seen A Town Called Panic, please go watch it right now. It's French, it's hilarious, and it's available on Netflix Instant Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...